Welcome to China’s Temple of Heaven!
1. Many books, magazines, and journey web sites want to make use of the pictures of the triple-gabled round temple within the Temple of Heaven to signify Beijing. It has turn into one in every of Beijing’s really prized landmarks.
2. Along with the Forbidden Metropolis, Temple of Heaven is one other supreme instance of the imperial structure in Ming Dynasty. All of the architectures have been adorned with colourful crimson to signify the dignity of the imperial courtroom in historic China.
3. Occupying an space of two,700,000 sq. meters (3,529,412 sq. yards), the Temple of Heaven is Four occasions bigger than the Forbidden Metropolis.
4. The primary buildings within the Temple of Heaven lie alongside the south-north axis as with all temples in China.
5. Essentially the most putting constructing within the Temple of Heaven is the tall, round Corridor of Prayer for Good Harvests. Its location was decided by the emperor’s Fengshui masters as the precise level the place heaven and Earth met.
6. Seen from above, all of the temple halls spherical and the bottom sq., shapes additionally respectively symbolizing the heaven and earth. The picket pillars assist the ceiling with none nails or cement.
7. Within the south of the park lies the Imperial Vault of Heaven. It’s a spherical corridor tiled in blue and standing on a white platform. Simply north of the altar is the Echo Wall. Right here, a whisper can journey clearly from one finish to your pal’s ear on the different.
Nonetheless, the Echo Wall is not going to work if there’s a bellowing tour group within the center. Make certain to get right here early if you wish to expertise it correctly.
8. The Round Altar to the south was for astronomical use in historic China. It additionally served because the sacred place to carry the annual winter solstice ceremony. The mound consists of three tiers that signify Earth, the mortal world and heaven.
The higher tier within the Round Altar is adorned with 9 stone rings. the quantity 9 has particular significance in Chinese language cosmology, for there are 9 layers to heaven.
9. The temple park is mostly accessed by way of its west gate. Nonetheless, there are Four gates at both sides of the place. The normal ceremonial route approached the altar by the south gate.
10. The Temple of Heaven used to served because the sacred place the place emperors of the Ming Dynasty (1368 – 1644) and Qing Dynasty (1644 – 1911) held the Heaven Worship Ceremony. First inbuilt 1420, it’s China’s largest and most consultant current masterpiece amongst China’s historic sacrificial buildings.
Along with the Nice Wall, Forbidden Metropolis and Summer season Palace, The Temple of Heaven is the should see in Beijing. It gives you an incredible probability to be taught concerning the Chinese language historic philosophy, historical past and faith.